Check out our latest What’s New in Google blog post for a roundup of all G Suite launches from May 2019.
Carousels in new Sites
Easily display a selection of photos on a Site by creating an image carousel.
To insert an image carousel to your Site:
- In the right sidebar, click Insert > Image carousel
- Select images to upload or select from already uploaded images.
- Drag images to reorder as desired.
- Hover over the image to delete or add alt text.
To set carousel settings, click the gear icon to the top right and select from the following:
- Auto start: images in the carousel will automatically cycle.
- Show dots: displays progress indicators for the carousel.
Sites Footers Improvement
Two changes to the footers on new Sites, as below:
- Removing the current footer appended at the bottom of all new Sites, which contains “Made with new Google Sites…” language and the “Create a site” button.
- Adding the ability for site editors to show the last time a page was updated via a newly designed site info icon.
Sheets – 3 new work and formatting features
Three new features are being rolled out to help you clean up and work with your data in Sheets. These are:
- Remove duplicates
- Trim whitespace
- Compatible spreadsheet shortcuts
Let’s quickly go through these features below:
Remove Duplicates; easily remove duplicate values from your sheet.
Trim Whitespace; sometimes when you paste data in, it doesn’t always appear how you wanted it to. Using the trim whitespace feature you can remove all the leading, trailing or excessive whitespace from your data.
Compatible Keyboard Shortcuts; you can now use popular keyboard shortcuts from other spreadsheets in Sheets. Such as Excel for example. You can turn this on by going to Help > Keyboard Shortcuts.
Update linked content with one click in Docs and Slides
A new “Linked Objects” toolbar is being added where you can see all linked content in your documents, including charts, tables, slides and drawings.
You can access this by clicking Tools > Linked Objects where you can update individual items or click Update all.
New Docs formatting tool
Two new features in Google Docs to help you format your work.
Insert section breaks and view section breaks in Docs
You can now insert a next page or continuous section break in Google Docs by going to Insert > Break. From here, you can select next or continuous. Note both types of breaks will start at the place of your cursor location.
To easily view where section breaks are located in your document, you can use the new show section breaks tool by going to View > Show section breaks. When Show selection breaks is enabled, you’ll see a blue dotted line where each section break is located.
Adjust margins per section
It’s now possible to use the ruler to adjust the left and right margins by section. Previously, it was only possible to adjust the margins for the entire document.
If you don’t make a selection, the ruler will adjust the margins for the section that corresponds to the cursor location. Or, you can highlight multiple sections of your doc to be adjusted.
You can also adjust margins per-section by going to File > Page Setup.
Dark Mode for Calendar & Keep
The Android apps for Calendar and Keep will now support Dark mode which you can enable in the settings of each app.
Updated G Suite Learning Center
A new, customer-friendly, revamped G Suite Learning Center.
This includes the below:
- An Announcements tab to show new and updated guides.
- A “Day 1” checklist to help new users get started.
- An improved search function.
- Guides that are easier to print, save as PDF’s or customize in Docs and Slides.