Google Classroom email notifications can be a bit overwhelming, particularly if you have been added as a teacher on additional classes. In this article, we take a look at a couple of ways you can better manage email notifications you receive from Google Classroom.
Turn Google Classroom notifiactions on or off
Notifications about comments or submissions of student work in Google Classroom are enabled by default. Each one will generate an email message which can soon add up if you have been added as a teacher for a large number of classes. You can change these notification settings at any time. To do this simply follow the instructions in Turn notififcations on or off or watch the video below to find out how.
Create a Gmail filter for Google Classroom Notifications
Instead of turning off Google Classroom notifications, you might want to keep receiving these notifications but just better organise them in your Gmail account. This can be acheived through creating a filter in Gmail to automatically label and organise Classroom notifications for you.
- Launch Gmail.
- Click the Down arrow in the search box at the top.
- In the From field enter @classroom.google.com as your search criteria. If you want to check that your search worked correctly, see what emails show up by clicking Search.
- At the bottom of the search window, click Create filter.
- Choose what you’d like the filter to do. We recommend the following options:
- Skip the inbox (Archive it) to keep these messages but remove them from your main inbox;
- Apply the label > New label to add and apply a new label called Google Classroom to these messages;
- Also apply filter to maching conversations to organise existing classroom notifications.
- Click Create filter.